What follows here are just my thoughts and words. No fact checking, no spell checking, no promises of great insight or good grammar. Just me dumping the words in my head to words on the screen. Bear with me... sometimes it's a bumpy ride.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mauification....

As of 9:15 am this morning, I am officially an ex-Californian.  I surrendered by CA license and now sport a fancy new Hawaii driver's license.  That was a momentarily weird feeling.  I've had a CDL for twenty-some... no ... thirty-some.... well, since I was 16.  A long time.  Anyway, now I am truly kama'aina.

The last time I had on a "real" pair of shoes other than flip flops (or slippers, as they are often called here) was New Year's Eve (and even then only for about an hour - remember, Michael fell sick & our night ended very early).

I have actually put long pants on several times.  (It is, afterall, winter.)  But mostly I'm in shorts or a skirt and short sleeves.  Really the only time I need a sweater is at Safeway (which is cold enough to hang meat in - and I mean the whole store, not just the cheese aisle).  As I write this, 9:30 PM, my thermometer says is 72.  It's lovely, if a bit cool.

I do actually have a complaint.  It's rather shocking, really.  They don't recycle here.  Well, that is to say, they don't curbside recycle.  Well, actually, they don't have residential recycling as a part of regular trash pick up.  You can apparently contract with  a recycler to come pick up your stuff (for something like $24/month.  What!)  But then there are all these restrictions - one pile for magazines, one pile for newspaper, one pile for office paper, one pile for #1 plastic, one pile for #2 plastic - everything rinsed, no caps - one pile for flattened cardboard.... (what the heck am I paying $24 for?)   Or, in the alternative, you can take all of your recycling to a recycling and reclammation center and drop it off (for free).  But that, of course, means you have a place to store enough stuff to make the trip to the center worthwhile.  (Let's face it, around here if you are piling up and saving stuff like that somehwhere, it very soon becomes a Cockroach Condo.  No thanks.)  So I guess what I'm saying, is they don't make it easy for ex-Californians like me to throw all my recycling in a big blue bin and have it taken away by the recycling fairies weekly who will sort it for me.  Sheesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment